Disruption is upon us. Well, software-fuelled disruption, to be precise. As software continues on its eat-the-world rampage, disruption is all around us — from money to education, from entertainment to design, from food to ticketing, from manufacturing to development, from health to commerce, from artificial intelligence to connected devices…
Who are these disruptors? The stories of Mark Zuckerberg, Travis Kalanick, Brian Chesky, Sebastian Thurn and the likes have been told, as also those of Sachin Bansal, Vijay Shekhar Sharma, Sridhar Vembu, Naveen Tewari, and peers.
Who are the new kids on the disruption block? Here are five among the stories we did in 2016 on disruptors and their journeys.
1. Let’s start with the youngest on our list: 12-year-old Tanmay Bakshi, among the youngest developers building apps on Watson, IBM’s artificial intelligence platform.
2. The Kabeer Biswas-led Dunzo is a hyperlocal concierge service in Bengaluru that users swear by. Order anything you want and pay between Rs 30 and Rs 100 on delivery. The coolness of the platform is the automation: 30% of orders are handled by bots.
3. Julia, an open source programming language, has been ranked among the top 50 computational languages in the world. Its co-creator, Viral Shah, is from Bengaluru.
4. A globe-beating carbon extraction and reuse startup in Thoothukudi? Not exactly, but Carbon Clean Solutions’ testbed is in this eastern coastal town on the Indian peninsula.
5. A H1B visa application turned down, five startup ideas that turned belly up, and a $90 million success sold to LinkedIn. This is the backstory of Akshay Kothari, the 30-year-old heading LinkedIn’s operations in its second biggest and fastest growing market.
Subscribe to FactorDaily
Our daily brief keeps thousands of readers ahead of the curve. More signals, less noise.
Lead visual: Nikhil Raj Disclosure: FactorDaily is owned by SourceCode Media, which counts Accel Partners, Blume Ventures and Vijay Shekhar Sharma among its investors. Accel Partners is an early investor in Flipkart. Vijay Shekhar Sharma is the founder of Paytm. None of FactorDaily’s investors have any influence on its reporting about India’s technology and startup ecosystem.